Tonight we start up our Bible study again on Thursday nights via Facebook live at 6:30pm. We will be doing a study on Not Just Healed but Whole.
Here are the notes for tonight’s study:
We are starting a series called Not Just Healed but Whole
- Tonight, we’re just going to lay a foundation by looking at Jesus’ final words IT IS FINISHED
- I don’t know how long this series will be…. I want to take it slow… I want us to understand it
God’s abundant life for us… this FINISHED life… is not to be healed but knowing that we were made WHOLE… nothing missing, nothing broken, completely, perfectly whole!
- But God will always meet us where we are at… if healing is needed God will meet you there
- If comfort is needed because of grief… God will meet you there
- If courage is needed He will meet you there
- If you feel as if you are walking through the valley of the shadow of death and can’t see yet that you are seated FAR ABOVE where death has no dominion over you, God will meet you there.
And through it all, God says “come up higher to where you are seated in heavenly places.”
- We are transformed not by the renewing of the mind, but by the renewing mind… the mind of Christ.
- 1 Cor 2:16 says we have the mind of Christ… we hold His thoughts, His feelings, and the purposes of His heart (Amplified version)
God is not changing us, He’s waking us up to who we already are IN CHRIST
- Gal 1:16 Paul says it pleased the Father to reveal His Son IN me… not to me… revealing who Paul already was IN CHRIST
- Psalm 17:15 says As for me, I will see Your face in righteousness; I shall be satisfied when I awake in Your likeness.
It’s time to wake up church and see that we are image and likeness of God…. we look just like Him!
In Psalm 139 – David is overwhelmed with the fact that God is thinking about him; He’s not excited about his thoughts about God BUT rather what God thinks of him
there is something much more important than what you think about God and that is discovering what He thinks about you!
John 19:28-30:After this, Jesus knowing that all things were now accomplished, that the scripture might be fulfilled, saying, I thirst.(29)Now there was set a vessel full of vinegar: and they filled a sponge with vinegar, and put it upon hyssop, and put it to his mouth (30)When Jesus, therefore, had received the vinegar, he said, It is finished: and he bowed his head, and gave up the ghost.
It is finished is tetelestai in Greek meaning ended, fulfilled, accomplished; completed, perfected; to bring to a close;
It is a perfect indicative tense
- Indicative means a statement of absolute truth…spoken without a doubt!
- Perfect means a fully completed action with results of that action ongoing and with FULL effect.
What Jesus was saying was, “It is finished! And will continue to be finished!”
- The work of man’s redemption and salvation was completed!
And that redemption and salvation will never cease to be finished
- A FULLY COMPLETELY redeemed… FULLY COMPLETELY saved (sozo)… lacking nothing!
- COMPLETED! FINISHED!
- Nothing else needed or required from us – it indicates a position, a condition, a state of being, a RESTING place.
- It was an accounting term used to mark a debt paid in full.
- It was a slave term used to show that a slave was no longer in bondage
It was a military term that was shouted as the FULL and FINAL victory over the enemy was accomplished – meaning the war, the battle is over
- It was a call to lay down your weapons and go home
- As an artist term, it was declared as he stood back and announced: “The picture is perfect” as the artist laid down his brush.
- It HAS BEEN completed – IS NOW complete – and WILL FOREVER REMAIN completed… IT IS FINISHED!
The root of the word is telos which is the word Paul used in Romans 10:4
- This Scripture is a beautiful picture of REST
For Christ is the END (telos) of law unto righteousness to everyone who believes
- End of law – end of works; end of performance;
- Chris is the telos of law… the completion of law; the fulfillment and accomplishment of law;
- The end of a system of religious thinking… of doing to become; doing to be blessed.. doing to have God’s favor, forgiveness or peace;
- Doing (or obeying) to be righteous… to be right with God.
Mirror Bible: Christ is the conclusion of the law, everything the law required of mankind was fulfilled in him; he thus represents the righteousness of the human race, based upon faith (and not personal performance).
Based upon faith…. who’s faith?
- His faith! The faith OF Jesus
Paul already established that in Romans chapter 3 verses 21-22: But now the righteousness of God without the law is manifested, being witnessed by the law and the prophets; (22)Even the righteousness of God which is by (the) faith of Jesus Christ unto all and upon all them that believe: for there is no difference.
- The righteousness of God by THE faith OF Jesus UNTO ALL – meaning all mankind at the cross
AND upon all that believe – meaning that believers receive the most significant degree of benefit of this free gift of righteousness
We see that in 1 Tim 4:10 The Living God is the Savior of ALL men, especially those who believe.
- Especially is malista in Greek meaning to the greatest degree; most of all
- It has to do with our walking in the experience of this righteousness… not in us being righteous because we believe
Then he goes on in v. 22— for there is no difference
- That means there is no difference between a believer and an unbeliever with regards to their righteousness
- There is no difference regarding this gift of righteousness – ALL were MADE righteous
- Believers are merely those who are walking in the experience.. or in the revelation of being made righteous
Unbelievers… or pre-believers are just those who haven’t awakened to the realization that they were MADE righteous at the cross.
- 1 Cor 8:7says Not everyone possesses this knowledge
- Referring to the understanding of verse 6
- Mirror: 1 Cor 8:6-7:(understanding that…) there is only one God who is the source of ALL things; there is only one authority, the Lord Jesus Christ. ALL things exist because of him; we owe our very being to him. He alone gives context and reference to our lives. (7) However, not everyone realizes this;
Back to Romans 3
- Verse 23:For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God;
We need to look closer at this verse… it’s not a NOW word
ALL have sinned – is an aorist indicative tense
- Meaning it’s a past tense fact… all HAVE (past tense) sinned
Talking about sin in the past tense… BEFORE the cross
- 2 Cor 5:19says God was in Christ on the cross, reconciling man to Himself, NOT IMPUTING their sins against them
- Mirror:Our ministry declares that Jesus did not act independently of God. Christ is proof that God reconciled the total kosmos to himself. Deity and humanity embraced in Christ; the fallen state of mankind was deleted; their trespasses would no longer count against them
- Romans 5:13says sin is not taken into account where there is no law
- and back to Rom 10:4He was the END of the law…. end of law = God NOT taken sin into account.
So, back to Romans 3:23… All HAVE sinned (past tense fact, before the cross) AND fallen short of the glory of God
- Fallen short is present indicative tense; meaning an action going on in the present time
It is hustereo meaning to fall short, to be behind; inferior to;
- Inferior means to be lower than or not as good as;
Fallen short of the glory of God
glory is doxa meaning opinion; the root is dokeo meaning thinking, thought, intent;
- God’s thinking, God’s thought, God’s intent or plans!
- His original blueprint for mankind
Paul is saying we all fall short, we lag behind God’s thinking… not thinking His thought…. IT IS FINISHED!
- We fall short, we fall behind in our understanding of His finished work… that He is the end (telos) of law… the end of our doing to become righteous
- Falling behind in our understanding of the truth that we were made righteous by HIS FAITH at the cross.
Falling short — living inferior to God’s opinion of us… His original intent of who we are
- Genesis 1:27… created in the image and likeness of God!
Ps 8:5 says He has crowned man with (His) glory and honor
- God chose to make mankind His image bearers and reflectors of His glory
- This was His original blueprint design for us and the fall didn’t change it
- All men fell short because of Adam… forgot who they were and lived inferior to their true nature – His image and likeness
Usually we just stop at verse 23 and use it to convince people that they are sinners who have fallen short of God’s glory, needing to repent and get saved.
- But we need to continue reading because v. 24 is a continuation of v. 23
So… v. 23: so ALL have sinned.. past tense fact BEFORE the cross AND all (continue) to fall short of the Glory of God… falling short of His thoughts and opinions of them (made in His image and likeness; made righteous at the cross)
- And verses 24-26: Being justified freely by his grace through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus: (25)Whom God hath set forth to be a propitiation through faith in his blood, to declare his righteousness for the remission of sins that are past, through the forbearance of God; (26)To declare, I say, at this time his righteousness: that he might be just, and the justifier of him which believeth in Jesus.
- Justified is to be judged innocent and righteous; to be positioned just as if you’ve never sinned; to be in the exact same position as Jesus who never sinned;
To be justified from God’s perspective is you have never sinned a day in your life… you are sinless! Innocent! Righteous!
Righteous means two parties finding their likeness in each other
- You are now free to discover God’s likeness and image in you; it means TO BE – you are now free to be who you always have been in the Father’s opinion… a son (or daughter), made in His image and likeness.
Do and live was the promise of the law (Lev 18:5; Ezek 20:11)
- But in Christ, God says to ALL mankind, “Here is Our life. It’s a free gift! There is no more for you to do – IT IS FINISHED! You are now free just to BE you – your true authentic you!”
Who is justified freely by His grace through His redemption? ALL
- And all means just that… ALL! ALL mankind
Don’t get hung up on the fact that there are believers and unbelievers… the same ALL mankind is still justified freely
- Remember 1 Cor 8:7– however not all realize it (YET)!
Verse 26 says He did this to demonstrate His righteousness at the present time, so as to be just and to justify the one who has faith in Jesus.
This is how He demonstrated His righteousness..
- He is Just (Righteous)
- And He justified His mankind through the faith of Jesus
- This is what righteousness looks like from God’s perspective…… He is Righteous, and He made us righteous
- All along God REFUSED to let go of mankind…. refused to allow them to continue in living inferior to their true nature… made in His image and likeness.
Paul’s audience had been so used to living a life of trying to become righteous through the law… that was what they thought God’s righteousness looked like
- Paul is saying, “Look, guys, I’ve already told that righteousness is by faith not by law (works… doing to become). And this is what God’s righteousness looks like… He is righteous, and He made you righteous BY THE FAITH OF JESUS.”
Most translations say faith in Jesus, but the original says THE faith OF Jesus… just like v. 22
- That faith – His faith, NOT yours, persuades us that we have been justified and reconciled to God.
It is His faith that embraces and undergirds me… my believing is merely saying “not I but Christ”… realizing that I am righteous because of His faith… I am reconciled because of His faith… and then resting in that finished work!
- We’re not reconciled or made righteous because we “believe”…we are already reconciled and righteous whether we believe it or not.
- We don’t become justified when we pray the prayer or “repent” of our “sins.”
We have always been justified and reconciled… we just haven’t always been aware of it.
- Romans 4:25 says He was raised because of our justification
- In other words, He would still be in the grave if the Father had not judged ALL mankind righteous, sinless, and innocent by the faith of Jesus!
- He was raised because the Father justified us.
- No justification = no resurrection
- Jesus’ faith declared IT IS FINISHED!
John 17:4:I have glorified thee on the earth: I have finished the work which thou gavest me to do.
What work did Jesus finish?
- Adam’s work
- He was here to finish Adam’s work so that you and I would never have a thing to do except rest
- He was the Last Adam
When He said IT IS FINISHED, He made the old Adam (the old man) obsolete
- There is not a residue of Adam in anyone – not in the believer and not in the unbeliever
- None of Adam survived the cross
IT IS FINISHED…. perfected, completed, lacking nothing
- And we’ll look more at that later on… tonight we’re only laying a foundation of Jesus’ final words
Mark 15:37:“And Jesus having uttered a loud cry, breathed His last.”Luke 23:46:“Then Jesus calling out with a loud voice, said, “Father, into your hands, I commit My Spirit!” And having said it, He breathed His last.”
He uttered a loud cry — He called out with a loud voice
Cry is phóné meaning a sound, a noise; the root is phemi meaning to bring to light by asserting one statement.
- Light is revelation
- As you make IT IS FINISHED your loud cry, you bring to light His completed work… releasing revelation of who we are in Christ and who He is in us, as us and through us
Loud is megas! Meaning abundant, fierce, huge, all the more, more important, strong, too much, very much!
- It’s the much more’s that Paul was declaring
- It’s the greater than and much more in Hebrews
- Make your cry of IT IS FINISHED loud… Make it all the more, too much… make it MUCH MORE and GREATER THAN anything else!
On the battlefield, it was a loud cry to lay your weapons down and go home (REST) because the battle/war was finished… FULL and FINAL victory over the enemy!
- We don’t have to battle for what is ours in Christ…
We don’t have to fight to get it, AND we don’t have to fight to keep it or maintain it.
- No spiritual warfare necessary
- who or what are you fight if a battle is finished and the enemy defeated?
There is no need to be on guard, keeping your weapons in hand, JUST IN CASE the enemy comes back
Jesus did a COMPLETE work… there is no just in case and never will be.
Col 2:15:Having disarmed the rulers and the authorities, He made a show of them in public, having triumphed over them in it.
- Disarmed is apekdyomai in Greek meaning COMPLETELY stripped
Matthew 28:18– Jesus said ALL authority (power) in heaven and on earth has been given to Me
He is Omnipotent… All-Powerful
- There is no other power… AL power belongs to Jesus
- There is only ONE power – there is no smaller or lesser power out to attack you or do battle with you
- IT IS FINISHED – you can safely lay your weapons down forever and simply REST in His finished work.
But just how finished is finished? How far does it reach?
- We’re going to look at that over the coming weeks…. how He has made you completely WHOLE, LACKING NOTHING.
I see too many believers who are sick and dying early from disease
- Healing lines at church are full of believers struggling with sickness and disease
Maybe the reason is what are believers believing?
- Maybe we haven’t gone far enough in our believing regarding IT IS FINISHED
What should our finished life… a life rooted in IT IS FINISHED believing… look like?
Paul showed us in Galatians 2:20 what his new FINISHED life looked like – it was no longer he that lived.. his life was lived in the awareness of Christ in him, as him.
- Paul lived a life that was completely free of any association with Adam and the fall… a life free of any association with sin and death… a life free of any association with any of the effects of the fall… sickness, disease, poverty, fear, etc.
- He lived a life of no more sin consciousness
Heb 10:2 — worshippers ONCE purified should have no more consciousness of sins
- consciousness of sins is specifically referring to the belief in a present and persistent fallen condition of man that continues to potentially affect my status with God on a daily basis
- that belief (sin consciousness) is my tie to sickness and disease
BUT sickness and disease… sin and death… ALL effects of the fall from God’s perspective are null and void – defeated at the cross
- IF that is not my perspective as well then I will not see myself as dead to sin… dead to sickness.. dead to disease… dead to poverty… dead to fear
- I am alive ONLY to God… it is His life in me and as me
- all of those effects of death are NOT part of this FINISHED life
This understanding of having no more consciousness of sin because we HAVE BEEN purified has to be our foundation as we go forward in these teachings on Not Just Healed but Whole
Having a right understanding sin in Genesis….. that it was not the action of eating from the tree but the original sin that led to eating from the tree
- That action was the “fruit” of sin… the behavior/misdeed that was the result of SIN
- God had made them whole… made in His image and likeness… lacking nothing
- Sin was their belief that they were lacking in wholeness… that they weren’t like God – the result of that sin was the behavior that followed… eating from the tree
- Purified…. Clean, pure, guiltless, upright, innocent, unstained, sinless — this is who you ARE – whole lacking nothing!
- What you believe about IT IS FINISHED determines the FINISHED life you walk out in this life.
Last Scripture Genesis 3:11
Who told you that you were naked?
- That you weren’t whole… that you were lacking something
Adam and Eve weren’t lacking anything… they were made in the image and likeness of God
- They believed a lie and consequently started living a life based on that lie.. that false perception of themselves and God… living in the sense realm rather than in Him
Sin is hamartia which means to miss the mark
- It is to live below the life God intended for you
- The mark is life and life more abundantly… it is the FINISHED life IN HIM