Tonight’s Bible Study… Hebrews 8:1 – The Main Point – He is Seated!
- A few weeks ago we began a teaching series on Not Just Healed but Whole
And we started it with the words of Jesus IT IS FINISHED!
It is finished is a perfect verb tense meaning a completed action with results of that action ongoing and with FULL effect.
- Jesus was saying “It is finished and will continue to be finished”
- A full and complete redemption lacking nothing
- Nothing required from us… it’s a position of rest
In Greek it is tetelestai which means
- It was an accounting term used to mark a debt paid in full.
- It was a slave term used to show that a slave was no longer in bondage
- It was a military term that was shouted as the FULL and FINAL victory over the enemy was accomplished – meaning the war, the battle is over
- It was a call to lay down your weapons and go home
- As an artist term, it was declared as he stood back and announced: “The picture is perfect” as the artist laid down his brush.
The question then came up what about spiritual warfare? Is that also finished?
- Isaiah 40:2 Speak to Jerusalem’s heart and call out to her that her warfare is ended!
- Col 2:15: And having spoiled principalities and powers, he made a show of them openly, triumphing over them in it.
- Heb 2:14: Forasmuch then as the children are partakers of flesh and blood, he also himself likewise took part of the same; that through death he might destroy him that had the power of death, that is, the devil;
And we looked at 1 Jn 4:17 As He is so are we in this world!
- He is seated… He is not arming Himself still against a defeated enemy
- We are seated with Him
- so why are we still arming ourselves against a defeated enemy?
Jesus not only destroyed the enemy… He also destroyed his works
- 1 Jn 3:8 for this reason the Son of God was revealed, that He might destroy the works of the devil
- Works is erga in Greek meaning tasks, actions; a deed or action that is carried out; behaviors, labors, business; it means doing orto do;
- There is nothing the enemy can DO to you… Jesus COMPLETELY destroyed ALL the devil’s works
- COMPLETELY DESTROYED ALL HIS WORKS!
- He can’t attack you, he can’t lie to you, he can’t deceive you, he can’t lead you astray, he can’t plot against you, he can’t inflict disease/sickness, he can’t cause division, he can’t work through people against you, he can’t DO anything
- ALL of his “doing” was completely destroyed!!!
Mark 4:35-41: And the same day, when the even was come, he saith unto them, Let us pass over unto the other side. (36) And when they had sent away the multitude, they took him even as he was in the ship. And there were also with him other little ships. (37) And there arose a great storm of wind, and the waves beat into the ship, so that it was now full. (38) And he was in the hinder part of the ship, asleep on a pillow: and they awake him, and say unto him, Master, carest thou not that we perish? (39) And he arose, and rebuked the wind, and said unto the sea, Peace, be still. And the wind ceased, and there was a great calm. (40) And he said unto them, Why are ye so fearful? how is it that ye have no faith? (41) And they feared exceedingly, and said one to another, What manner of man is this, that even the wind and the sea obey him?
Jesus said “Let’s go to the other side”
- Sometimes distractions and circumstances happen – v. 37 a violent storm came while they were going across to the other side, filling up the boat
Jesus’ position during this storm.. This circumstance was one of rest
- The disciples position at that moment was fear, panic and thinking they would perish or be utterly destroyed — BUT Jesus had already said “Let’s go to the other side”
- V. 39 says that He forbid the wind and said to the sea silence (be calm), be still (be silent).
He asked His disciples why they had no faith… faith in what?
- What He said… Let’s go to the other side
Jesus knew His Father ALWAYS causes HIm to triumph (2 Cor 2:14)
- Not some of the time… ALL THE TIME… ALWAYS!
- And not barely get through… TRIUMPH!
- Webster’s defines triumph as great victory!
- The thesaurus lists as opposites (antonyms) of triumph as: disaster, failure, forfeit, loss, sadness, sorrow, unhappiness!
We have the mind of Christ – we hold the thoughts, the intents and purposes of His heart
- Our mindset needs to be the same as His when distracting circumstances try to throw us off course — We need to be in a position of rest… resting in IT IS FINISHED, speaking to those circumstances to be silent, knowing that our Daddy ALWAYS causes us to triumph!
- That’s ruling and reigning in life OVER distracting circumstances
- Your understanding of IT IS FINISHED should be continually increasing and expanding
- It HAS BEEN finished – IS NOW finished – and WILL FOREVER REMAIN finished
- Jesus did a COMPLETE and FINISHED work
Over the next several weeks we’re going to look at the healing ministry of Jesus as it pertains to us in the New Covenant
- we’re approaching this teaching on the healing ministry of Jesus from an unusual position
- because most of us have been exposed to the healing ministry of Jesus through the gospels
But we live in the New Covenant
- and in the New Covenant the pertinent healing ministry of Jesus is not found in the Gospels
- the Gospels reveal the Old Covenant relationship between God and man
We’ll be talking about EVERYTHING the Lord accomplished to produce WHOLENESS in EVERY aspect of our lives through His FINISHED work
- His desire for us was not to go from healing to healing to healing but to be aware of our wholeness and walk in divine Health
- Just like we discussed spiritual warfare from the FINISHED perspective… we’re going to discuss health as a FINISHED part of our redemption… we have been made WHOLE
- So, stick with me… we’re going to look at a lot of Scripture over the next several weeks
- And your revelation of IT IS FINISHED will increase even more and you’ll begin seeing yourself as you truly are… WHOLE and complete… nothing missing and nothing broken.
II. He IS SEATED
Hebrews 1:1-3: God who at various times and in various ways spoke in times past to the fathers by the prophets; (2) has in these last days spoken to us by His Son whom He has appointed Heir of ALL things through Whom also He made the worlds; (3) Who being the brightness of His glory, and the express image of his person (or the exact representation of His nature), and upholding all things by the word of his power, when he had by himself purged our sins, sat down on the right hand of the Majesty on high;
Verse 2 says in these last days God has spoken to us by His Son
the word “by” can also be translated IN
- God has spoken to us IN and BY His Son
So, God said something to the world, He said something to humanity, IN His Son and BY His Son
- And this is not referring to the words that Jesus spoke that are recorded for us in the Gospels and referenced in the book of Acts
- What this is referring to is what God spoke through Jesus in His ministry to humanity
- Referring to what He actually spoke to mankind’s entire need through Jesus
- and a lot of the church really hasn’t heard what He spoke
When we talk about hearing something we’re not just talking about the words resonating in our ears
- many have not yet HEARD… haven’t yet UNDERSTOOD what is being referred to here in these verses — what God has spoken IN and BY His Son
- So, tonight we’re going to be looking at what God has spoken IN and BY His Son that needs to be HEARD down inside — what needs to be understood
Notice verse 3 says when He had by Himself purged our sins, He SAT DOWNat the right hand of the Majesty on high
- this message is for the entire humanity
- but where you would expect to find some understanding or some agreement with this is in the church
- yet many in the church have not heard and understood the value of these words HE SAT DOWN
- we haven’t fully understood the value and the application of these words
Let’s read it again — When He had BY HIMSELF purged our sins, He SAT DOWN at the right hand of the Majesty on high
The word “by” is dia in Greek meaning completely successfully through!
- Completely successfully BY HIMSELF — with no help from us!
- The word “at” is actually IN (en) and is a position; a relation of rest;
- So…… He, BY HIMSELF (with no help from us) purged our (all mankind’s) sins
- Then He SAT DOWN in a position of REST at the right hand of the Majesty on High!
III. The Main Point
- Exactly how important are these words?
He tells us in Hebrews 8:1: Now this is the MAIN POINT of the things we are saying. We have such a High Priest who IS SEATEDat the Right Hand of the throne of the majesty in the Heavens
- What is the importance of the words HE SAT DOWN?
Here he says it’s the MAIN POINT of everything he’s saying
- We have such a High Priest who IS SEATED.
KJV uses the word sum… the sum of the things we are saying
- Sum is the total or the final tally
- So, in other words, HE IS SEATED is the main point or the sum (the total) of what God has spoken IN and BY His Son
We’ve thought the cross was the main point
- But, we need to understand that the cross is not the main point
- the cross is not the sum
This will mess with your religious thinking… so listen carefully… don’t shut off
- Christians are still clinging to the old rugged cross
- Christians are still writing songs about being at the foot of the Cross
The Bible tells us in Galatians 3 that Christ was made a curse for us because cursed is everyone who hangs on the TREE
- so anytime a believer is going back to the Cross… as long as Jesus is hanging on the Cross…there is an association with the curse and with the Old Covenant
it wasn’t until He was taken off of the Cross that things began to change the way the Father needed them to change
- in order to have the relationship with you and me that He has determined from the foundation of the World that He would have with us
Clinging to the old rugged cross does nothing but get splinters in your emotional understanding
- we have no business at the foot of the cross
- this DOES NOT mean that we discontinue being thankful for the Cross and the blood of Jesus
- I’m NOT in any way trying to demean the value and the power of the Cross
but you must understand, it’s NOT the main point!
- it’s not the SUM
Not everything that God was trying to do was in the cross
- it was a hurdle… it was something Jesus had to do….. as we’ll see in a moment
- something He had to do in order to arrive at the MAIN POINT…but it wasn’t the main point
- we ought to at least be beginning with Resurrection morning – and even that is NOT the MAIN POINT
- Stay with me, you’ll understand as we go
We need to grasp the value of this thing so that we can keep the main thing, the main thing
- if we would keep the main thing the main thing we would not have these foolish doctrines that consume so much of the time and the efforts of the body of Christ
Go with me to Psalm 110:1: A Psalm of David. The LORD said unto my Lord, Sit thou at my right hand, until I make thine enemies thy footstool.
- This is the first occurrence in Scripture — Sit at my right hand til I make your enemies my footstool
- Matt 22:44: The Lord said to my lord, sit at my right hand til I make your enemies my footstool
- Mark 12:36 For David himself said by (actually it’s IN) the Holy Spirit: Said the Lord to the Lord of me, sit at the right hand of Me, until I place the enemies of You as a footstool of your feet.
- Luke 20:42-43: For David, himself says in the book of Psalms: Said the Lord to the Lord of me, sit at the right hand of Me, (43)until I place the enemies of You as a footstool at the feet of You.
All this repetition suggests to me that there is great significance in this
And we’ve already been told Hebrews 8 that this is the MAIN POINT of the things being said — that we have such a High Priest who IS SEATED
- HE IS SEATED!
Go with me to Acts 2:32-35: This Jesus hath God raised up, whereof we all are witnesses. (33)Therefore, being by the right hand of God exalted, and having received of the Father the promise of the Holy Ghost, he hath shed forth this, which ye now see and hear. (34)For David is not ascended into the heavens: but he saith himself, The LORD said unto my Lord, SITthou on my right hand, (35)Until I make thy foes thy footstool. Hebrews 1:13:But to which of the angels said he at any time, SITon my right hand, until I make thine enemies thy footstool?
Why does this one statement warrant so much repetition in Scripture?
- because the writer of Hebrews told us in the 8thchapter — it’s the MAIN POINT of what God has spoken about our redemption
- it’s the point that everyone in the body of Christ certainly, and hopefully eventually the world, needs to HEAR AND UNDERSTAND
We’ve all “heard” these Scriptures at some point in our Christianity
- BUT we haven’t HEARD what they meant
Now we find out that this is the MAIN POINT of the things that are being spoken of our redemption
- This is what God has spoken to us IN His Son
- This is what God has spoken to us BY His Son
NOT just to US, the church members…but to ALL the world
- you have (mankind) such a High Priest who is seated in the heavenly places
- ALL mankind (church and unchurched or believers and unbelievers) has a High Priest
- So, this is the MAIN POINT of the revelation of our redemption – we ALL have a High Priest who SAT DOWN
Look at Heb 12:1-2: Therefore, since we also, are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles. And let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us, (2) fixing our eyes on Jesus, the pioneer and perfecter of faith. For the joy set before him he endured the cross, scorning its shame, and SAT DOWN at the right hand of the throne of God.
- SAT DOWN at the right hand of the throne of God
So, for the joy that was set before Him, He ENDURED the Cross…. despising the shame
- And He SAT DOWN at the right hand of the throne of God
- Hebrew 1:3 tells us that He purged our sins and SAT DOWN
- Hebrews 12:2 tells us He endured the Cross and SAT DOWN
- Go back to Mark 16:19: therefore, the Lord Jesus, after speaking to them was taken up into the heaven and SAT DOWNat the right hand of God
- SAT DOWN!
I believe there is something we’re supposed to hear in this that we haven’t heard
- something that we’re supposed to know that we know that we know deep down inside us, that we haven’t known
and as I hear believers talk (and even my own words at times) I realize we haven’t heard
- there is still so much going on in the lives of Christians that denies the reality of this statement
- I’m not talking about behavior like drinking, smoking, cussing, etc
- I’m talking about the afflictions in their lives, the situations in their lives and how they are dealing with them makes me realize that we haven’t HEARD what God has spoken to us IN His Son… spoken to us BY His Son
Oh, we’ve heard the words that Jesus spoke in the Gospels and in the book of Acts
- but we haven’t HEARD what the Father was saying to us through the ministry of Jesus
- So, what is that we seem not to have heard or understood
Go with me to Rev 3:21: To he who overcomes I will give to him to sit with Me on My throne as I also overcame and SAT DOWNwith My Father in His throne.
- Notice it says “as I overcame and SAT DOWN with My Father on His throne”
so here is the first point of what we haven’t seemed to understand
- Jesus SAT DOWN because He overcame
- I don’t think we’ve really understood this in the FULL capacity that we’re supposed to
He SAT DOWN because He OVERCAME
Hebrews 1:3 – He purged ALL sin for ALL time and He SAT DOWN
- He disarmed principalities, and powers and rulers and He sat down
- He destroyed him who had the power of death and He sat down
- He released those who through the fear of death were subject all their lives to bondage and He sat down
- He destroyed ALL the works of the devil and He sat down
- He bore our sicknesses and carried our diseases and He sat down
- The chastisement for our peace was upon Him and He sat down
- He restored innocence and righteousness to men and He sat down
- He restored full open relationship between Father and His sons and He sat down
- we could go on and on
but the point is… He’s seated because everything that needed to be done is done
- there is nothing left for you and I to do… we’re SEATED with Him
- NOTHING left for religion to accomplish \
- NOTHNG left for us to achieve
- it’s all achieved, completed, DONE
- IT IS FINISHED