Gal 4:19: My little children, for whom I labor in birth again until Christ is formed in you
- Mirror says … I travail for the FULL REALIZATION OF CHRIST to be formed within you
- Paul was passionate that these Galatians fully realize who they were in Christ and walk in that fullness of Him in them, as them and through them
Believers should be living victorious and full, rich, abundant lives
But too often believers are living defeated lives…. Sick, broke, fearful, in bondage to things like depression, sin, striving and toiling, etc.
- Gal 5:1 says, It was for freedom that Christ set us free
- 2 Cor 2:14 says He ALWAYS causes us to triumph in Christ Jesus
- Rom 5:17 says, how much more will those who receive the abundance of grace and the gift of righteousness reign in life through the One Man, Jesus Christ
- 2 Peter 1:3 He has given us ALL THINGS that pertain to life and godliness
- Heb 2:7-8 You made him a little lower than the angels (Elohim); You crowned him with glory and honor and placed everything under his feet”
- We are free, we ALWAYS triumph, we rule and reign in life… this life, we have been given ALL things that pertain to life and godliness, we have been crowned with glory and honor and have ALL authority.
And all of this from a position of being co-seated with Him in the heavenlies
- Seated = a position of REST in Him
And on top of all that He completely defeated the enemy
- Col 2:15: And having defeated principalities and powers, he made a show of them openly, triumphing over them in it.
Heb 2:14: Since then the children are partakers of flesh and blood, he also himself likewise took part of the same; that through death he might destroy him that had the power of death, that is, the devil;
- FINISHED – dominion over death and all of its effects (sickness, disease, poverty, fear, etc); no warfare necessary – a defeated enemy
1 Jn 3:8: The Son of God appeared for this purpose, to destroy the works of the devil.
- Works is erga in Greek meaning tasks, actions, deeds; it means doing or to do
- There is nothing the enemy can DO to you… Jesus COMPLETELY destroyed ALL the devil’s works
COMPLETELY DESTROYED ALL HIS WORKS!
- He can’t attack you, he can’t lie to you, he can’t deceive you, he can’t lead you astray, he can’t plot against you, he can’t inflict disease/sickness, he can’t cause division, he can’t work through people against you, he can’t DO anything
- ALL of his “doing” was completely destroyed!!!
FINISHED means just that – FINISHED!
- The enemy was conquered, not just confronted
- The enemy has no power over you, no authority over you anymore
- the only power the enemy has over anybody now is through deception, through lies
- it’s an illusory power, not a real power
- it’s not a power of any substance – it’s only a power that exists in the imaginations and minds, in distorted, darkened thinking of those who don’t fully understand and appreciate the finished work of Jesus Christ.
But, if you still choose to believe that you still need to do spiritual warfare against an enemies attacks..…. consider this verse:
- Col 3:3 For you are dead and your life is hid with Christ IN God
- How exactly can an enemy get to you based on this verse?
- Your life IS HIDDEN with Christ IN God – talk about a spiritual fortress!!
Isaiah 35:8 describes our life as a highway of holiness
And verse 9 says No lion shall be (exist, arise, appear, continue) there, nor any ravenous beast shall go up (reach, invade) there on, it shall not be found (appear,exist,able) there; but the redeemed shall walk there
- Ravenous is parits in Greek meaning violent one; vicious, robbers (thieves), destroyer; root means to break through;
It has been said that at a certain altitude above sea level, poisonous snakes do not reside.
At a certain level, either the lack of moisture or the cold, prohibits the majority of trees from growing – it’s called the tree line
- It’s at this level the so-called snake line exists
As we go higher in our thinking we realize we are truly hidden with Christ in God
- This is our dwelling place… dwell in Hebrew means to sit down – a position of rest
- This is the place where we realize there is no enemy to battle… Jesus defeated all the enemy
- It’s not a high place where the enemy cannot touch us… it’s the high place where we realize there is NO enemy… from God’s perspective he no longer exists… he was TOTALLY, COMPLETELY destroyed!
It’s not the high place that we must use our faith to remain in…. it’s where we truly ARE at all times… Eph 2:6 says that we ARE co-seated with Him in heavenly places
We died with Him, we were buried with Him, we were resurrected with Him, we ascended with Him and we were seated with Him – none of our doing, it was all Him.
- All of those are aorist indicative – past tense fact!
- And they are in the active voice which means the subject of the sentence is performing the action – the subject of the sentence is Jesus
- He raised you up and He seated you in the heavenly realms, IN CHRIST JESUS
- All that is needed is to simply change our thinking
His grace will take the ages to reveal…we haven’t even begun to scratch the surface!
- Ephesians 2:7: That in the ages to come he might shew the exceeding riches of his grace in His kindness toward us through Christ Jesus.
We are all on a journey of grace and at different points or places on this journey
- You can’t tell me how BIG grace can be in my thinking… how big IT IS FINISHED can be to me and I can’t tell you how big grace can be in your thinking
It can be as big as you want… I don’t think we could ever make it bigger than God has made it
- I don’t think we’ll ever get it to BIG in our thinking where God says, “Hey, wait a minute, that’s bigger than I ever intended it to be. You’ve gone too far, scale it back!”
And the great thing about Father God is that He always meets us where we’re at
- We’re all on this beautiful journey of discovering ourselves in Him… in His finished work.
- In Hebrew that’s called “lech lecha” which literally means go to yourself… or go find the true you, the you I created you to be.
- As we look deeper into IT IS FINISHED we begin to see who we truly are… holy, righteous, complete, perfect, WHOLE, lacking nothing!
- So to recap our last Bible study a couple of weeks ago…
We looked at Hebrews 1:1-3: God who at various times and in various ways spoke in times past to the fathers by the prophets; (2) has in these last days spoken to us by His Son whom He has appointed Heir of ALL things through Whom also He made the worlds; (3) Who being the brightness of His glory, and the express image of his person (or the exact representation of His nature), and upholding all things by the word of his power, when he had by himself purged our sins, sat down on the right hand of the Majesty on high;
- The word by in verse 2 is the word “en” and can also be translated IN
- God has spoken to us IN and BY His Son
What has He spoken to us IN and BY His Son?
- v. 3 says when He had by Himself purged our sins, He SAT DOWN at the right hand of the Majesty on high
- He purged our sins – by Himself… no help from us
- And then He SAT DOWN in a position of REST at the right hand of the Majesty on High!
Then we looked at Hebrews 8:1: Now this is the MAIN POINT of the things we are saying. We have such a High Priest who IS SEATED at the Right Hand of the throne of the majesty in the Heavens
- So, in other words, HE IS SEATED is the main point or the sum (the total) of what God has spoken IN and BY His Son
Rev 3:21 says He overcame and SAT DOWN with His Father on His throne
- He SAT DOWN because He OVERCAME
Hebrews 1:3 – He purged ALL sin for ALL time (overcame!) and He SAT DOWN
- He disarmed principalities, and powers and rulers and He sat down
- He destroyed him who had the power of death and He sat down
- He released those who through the fear of death were subject all their lives to bondage and He sat down
- He destroyed ALL the works of the devil and He sat down
- He bore our sicknesses and carried our diseases and He sat down
- The chastisement for our peace was upon Him and He sat down
- He restored innocence and righteousness to men and He sat down
He restored full open relationship between Father and His sons and He sat down
- we could go on and on, but the point is… He’s seated because everything that needed to be done is done
- there is nothing left for you and I to do… we’re SEATED with Him
- NOTHING left for religion to accomplish
- NOTHNG left for us to achieve
- it’s all achieved, completed, DONE
- IT IS FINISHED!
III. What did Jesus finish?
He said in John 19:30 and in Rev. 21:6-8 IT IS FINISHED!
- What was finished from Jesus’ and the Father’s perspective?
- He was telling us He completed or finished Adam’s original commission
He wasn’t finishing the Father’s works because we know the Father works had been finished from Genesis 2
- Genesis 2:1-2: Thus the heavens and the earth were finished, and all the host of them. (2) And on the seventh day God ended his work which he had made; and he rested on the seventh day from all his work which he had made.
- Hebrews 4 tells us that God had rested from all of His works
So, Jesus didn’t finish the Father’s works… He finished Adam’s obedience
- because remember when the Father spoke, He created all of it, finished all of it and gave it to His man Adam and told him “be fruitful, multiply, fill the earth, subdue it and rule over it”
- Jesus fulfilled that command where Adam failed
So, when He said IT IS FINISHED He was referring to having fulfilled Adam’s original commission
- He subdued the earth, He ruled over it SO THAT there is nothing left to do
And NOW from the Father’s perspective it is as if the “fall” NEVER happened!
- We have to get this!
only the church has kept the fall alive
- we’ve kept the fall as a message to people — not only to the church but the world
- but with the Father, because Jesus was the last Adam and completely fulfilled all of Adam’s obedience and said IT IS FINISHED, it is as though the “fall” never happened
God sees in Christ such a COMPLETE and TOTAL REVERSAL of the “fall.”
- such a COMPLETE and TOTAL obedience of His original command to Adam
- Such a COMPLETE and TOTAL REVERSAL that as far as the Father is concerned it’s as if the fall never happened
From the Father’s perspective, the “fall” never happened!
- It’s over and done
- And since we want to have the Father’s perspective on all things, we have to get this
- it has to be our perspective as well, that the “fall” never happened.
That IN CHRIST there was a complete and total reversal of the “fall.”
- Understanding that He SAT DOWN because IT IS FINISHED
The Father’s perspective on the human condition under this New Covenant is Hebrews 8:12: Because I will be merciful toward their iniquities, and their sins, no, I shall not remember any longer.
- Remember in Greek is mimnesko meaning to call to mind; recall; mention! to mentally grasp it; to purposefully or actively remember – by implication to reward or punish;
He is saying, “I will not recall, I will not mention, I will have no memory of the fall or it’s consequences.”
- He sees us ALL in Christ… holy, righteous, blameless, justified – or sinless, having NEVER once sinned, complete, perfect, WHOLE!
And yet the church talks about the fall as though it were an existing issue
- But God is not forgiving sins and making people holy today
Jesus has purged ALL of our sins and SAT DOWN
- His sitting down is the equivalent of God rested on the 7th day
- God rested because everything, including Adam and Eve (who were ALL mankind at the time) was finished, perfect, complete – nothing missing, nothing broken
- Likewise, Jesus SAT DOWN because everything, including ALL mankind, was finished, perfect, complete – nothing missing, nothing broken
That’s what Hebrews 1:3 says… when He had by Himself (no help from us) purged “the” sins SAT DOWN
“by” Himself is the word dia meaning COMPLETELY, SUCCESSFULLY through Himself!
- without our help then…. Or now…. or in the future!
you don’t purge yourself from sin by restraining from what the church or your own conscience says is inappropriate activity
- it’s good to abstain from things that are harmful to yourself or others
- but that’s NOT purging sin
Purge is ktharismos in Greek meaning cleansed. The root is to make clean and pure AND to declare clean and pure.
- He not only made us clean, pure – He DECLARED us (all mankind) clean and pure
Why would we declare anything contrary to that?
- Acts 10:15: what the Lord has made clean don’t regard as unclean!
- And then in v. 28 Peter said: God has shown me that I should not call MAN (anthropon – mankind) clean or impure.
Why are we still doing that? Still having an us and them mentality when it comes to cleanness or purity?
- God showed Peter not to call ANY MAN clean or impure!
- Because HE purged our sin COMPLETELY, SUCCESSFULLY, 100% by Himself… without our help
- And He did it before we were ever born
So, from God’s perspective sin has never been an issue for you and I
- it was only an issue for those who lived prior to the cross
- because AT THE CROSS He purged all sin – made AND declared all men clean and pure
Hebrews 9:26: He put away all sin by the sacrifice of Himself
- There are those words again… BY HIMSELF
- by is dia, COMPLETELY, SUCCESSFULLY, 100% by Himself… without our help
- you have to realize IT IS FINISHED – COMPLETED 100%!
Sin was COMPLETELY, SUCCESSFULLY, 100% conquered, not just confronted
- Sin has no power over you, sin has no authority over you anymore
- the only power sin has over anybody now is through deception, through lies
- it’s an illusory power, not a real power
- it’s not a power of substance – only a power that exists in the imaginations and minds, distorted darkened thinking of those who don’t fully understand and appreciate the finished work of Jesus Christ.
AND in Christ the fall has been negated!
- there is no reason for us to relate to the fall of man in any way, shape or form
So, if the fall has been negated… if from the Father’s perspective it is as though it never happened…. then what else has been negated?
- everything that was a result of it – that’s good news!
- Romans 5:12 – through one man, sin entered the world and through sin death
What is death?
- everything that was corruptive and spoiling to the human condition and existence and experience
- sickness, disease, discouragement, depression, insanity, addiction, immorality, fear, etc.
- ALL of those things are death
- the one word – death – describes everything that is contrary to human life
So, if the fall has been eradicated through the finished work of Jesus then so has everything connected with it… sin and death!
- And if it’s as if sin never existed (and from God’s perspective it is) then it’s as if disease never existed
- We ARE ALREADY healed… We ARE ALREADY whole… nothing missing, nothing broken!
- This morning as I was waking, I heard in my spirit…. “He has quickened our physical bodies (Romans 8:11). Our physical bodies are alive with the Life of God…pulsing with the very Life of God.”
Next week we’re going to look at Hebrews 10 verses 10-14.