Video for Bible study… notes for this video are below
Key verses: Ephesians 1:7, 11: in Him we have redemption, forgiveness of our sins, through the shedding of His blood…… (11) in Him ALSO we have obtained an inheritance
we have been redeemed AND we have obtained an inheritance
- Wholeness is our inheritance and a part of that wholeness is living in abundant health
- So we’re going to spend several weeks renewing our minds on the subject of healing or more specifically wholeness in the area of our health
Foundation — Last week we started by laying a foundation
Written to them FOR us
Romans 15:4: For whatever things were written before were written for our learning that we through patience and comfort of the Scriptures might have hope (confident expectation).
- the things that were written before (in the Old Testament) were written for our instruction so that we might develop a confident expectation of victorious, successful living
1 Cor 10:11: Now all these things happened to them as examples, and they were written for our admonition, upon whom the ends of the ages have come.
- Admonition is instruction; the placing of the mind; instruction for the mind;
- So again, we see that all these things — the things that were written before in the Old Testament — happened TO them as examples and were written FOR OUR instruction
- they were intended to instruct you and me today so that we can develop an expectation of success in our experience in this life
2. Parameters for studying the Old Testament through a New Covenant lens
- 1 Peter 1:10-12: Of which salvation the prophets have inquired and searched diligently, who prophesied of the grace that should come unto you: (11) Searching what, or what manner of time the Spirit of Christ which was in them did signify, when it testified beforehand the sufferings of Christ, and the glory that should follow. (12) Unto whom it was revealed, that not unto themselves, but unto us they did minister the things, which are now reported unto you by them that have preached the gospel unto you with the Holy Ghost sent down from heaven; which things the angels desire to look into.
Here we find our parameters — these are to be our filters of interpretation
- v. 10 – he referred to the grace
v. 11 – he referred to the glories
- glory — glory is doxa but the root is dokeo which means the view and opinion of God; it’s the nature and acts of God in manifestation
- v. 12 – he referred to the Gospel – or good news
- So, as we go back into Old Testament teaching — anything that is not a revelation of GRACE, GLORY OR GOOD NEWS is stuff we need to leave there
3. Types in Old Testament stories
- Entering into the practical experience of our inheritance IN CHRIST begins with a revelation of Israel’s exodus from Egypt
Pharaoh, Egypt, Egyptians and Red Sea are types in the Old Testament story of the Exodus
- Pharaoh is a type of satan
- Egypt is a type of sin – the condition, not the behavior
- Egyptians are a type of death – not the cessation of life but rather the effects of death: sickness, disease, poverty, fear, addiction, etc.
- Red sea is a type of the blood of Jesus – an impassable barrier between Egypt (sin) and the Egyptians (the effects of death: sickness, disease, poverty, etc) and the Israelites
So let’s dive into tonight’s study….
I. Sin WAS cancelled
Romans 5:12: Wherefore, as by one man (Adam) sin entered into the world, and death by sin; and so death passed upon all men, for that all have sinned:
- Sin was the cause — Death was the effect
- But if you remove the cause the effects are also removed
God told them He was Jehovah Rapha – the Lord their Health – and as a result they would have none of the diseases of Egypt
He told them this on the God side of the Red Sea
- so, as certainly as Egypt was behind them, SO WAS disease!
- because there is an impassible sea of blood
Remember, Egypt was a type of sin
- Sin the condition – not the behavior
And it was written to them FOR us
- So, for us…. as certainly as sin is behind you, SO IS disease
and actually, for US, sin never had anything to do with you because you weren’t even born when He put away (cancelled) sin by the sacrifice of Himself
- you weren’t even born when sin was cancelled, so it has never had any relationship with you
Disease and infirmity (death) belong to Egypt (sin) NOT to the redeemed of the Lord
- remove the cause – sin and the effect (death – sickness, disease, poverty, fear, etc) is automatically removed
We have equated Egypt with those sinners who haven’t come to Christ yet — the world
- But NO — Egypt is a type of the condition of sin
- not the people… not the behaviors – the condition
2 Cor 5:21: tells us that He became sin and we became righteous or innocent
- He became sin AND we became the very innocence of God in that Great Exchange
and v. 19 says God was in Christ reconciling the world to Himself not counting their trespasses against them
- the whole world was the recipient of this great exchange
- in other words, the world is equally redeemed – just as entitled to redemption from disease as the church is
We have this idea in the body of Christ that those of us who have “come to Jesus” are entitled to more of His finished work than the world is
but everything He provided… prosperity, the freedom – from addiction, disease, etc.- He provided equally for ALL man everywhere
Titus 2:11: for the grace of God appeared bringing salvation to ALL men
- salvation isn’t about going to heaven and missing hell – that isn’t even part of the definition
- salvation is sozo – healing, prosperity, deliverance, rescuing, made whole in every area of life; nothing missing, nothing broken; nothing lacking
- salvation is provided for ALL men equally
So, ALL men are made equally free from ALL infirmity
- infirmity isn’t just in regards to physical disease
- infirmity is the inability to produce results
If disease or any infirmity – the inability to produce results in any area of life whether it be physical, emotional, mental, financial, if inability plagues any of us it’s ONLY because WE assume a continuing association with SIN
- in other words, we are assuming — we are believing that we are still in association with this thing called sin
AND if we assume an existing relationship between the world and sin we are disabling our ministry to them
- Because from God’s perspective the world is not IN sin
Sin has been put away — He has cancelled sin by the sacrifice of Himself
- sin – the condition – does not exist anymore!
- Romans 5:18 through the one act of righteousness there resulted justification of life to ALL men
It’s true, we still commit “sins” – behavioral things
- BUT when we get ahold of the understanding that sin has been put away – that sin the condition is no longer associated with us or anyone else
- it not only makes our ability to receive that much easier it also makes our ability to minister to others that much easier
II. The Old Man Died
Eph 4:17-18: This I say, therefore, and testify in the Lord, that you should no longer walk as the rest of the Gentiles walk, in the futility of their mind (18) having their understanding darkened, being alienated from the life of God, because of the ignorance that is in them, because of the blindness of their heart.
Paul is speaking to the church at Ephesus – the believers at Ephesus — those we would call Christians or Believers
- he’s telling them that they should no longer walk as the rest of the Gentiles – heathens or pagans, unbelievers – in the futility of their mind
he’s communicating to these believers at Ephesus the condition that they are allowing to take place in their own lives — in their thinking
- their understanding is darkened
they are alienated (non-participant) from the life or the things of God
- Remember it’s the futility of their minds… God did not darken their understanding or alienate them
- and it’s because of the ignorance (the not knowing; the blindness) that is in them
and that blindness is in them it says, because of the hardness of their heart
- hardness at it’s root means unperceptive, unresponsive;
- he’s saying this is the way the Gentiles walk and you’re walking the same way
then he goes on in v. 20-24: But you have not so learned Christ (21) if indeed you have heard Him and have been taught by Him as the truth is in Jesus (22) that you put off, concerning your former conduct (way of life; not just behaviors), the old man which grows corrupt according to the deceitful lusts (or simply corrupted by deception) (23) and be renewed in the spirit (attitude) of your mind (the way you think) (24) and that you put on the new man which was created according to God in true righteousness and holiness
the old man is not the you before you asked Jesus into your heart
- the old man he is talking about here HAD KNOWN if you will, the diseases of Egypt
- he had known all the effects of sin – all of death’s attributes: sickness, disease, poverty, fear, etc.
- assuming association with the old man (sin – the condition) to any degree is walking in futile thoughts
BUT you are NOT associated with the old man in any way, shape or form
- because there is nothing that remains of Adam… he’s gone – ALL of Adam died and was buried with Christ (the Last Adam)
v. 21 says the truth is in Jesus
that means the truth for all men is in Jesus
- because before the cross the truth was in Adam — the condition of man was in Adam
- BUT since the cross the truth of ALL men is in Jesus – the condition of man is in Jesus
not all men have that understanding yet
- v. 17 notice it says EVEN the heathen are walking in that futility
what does that mean?
- it means that they are equally free of the old man
- in other words, they’re walking in wrong thinking as well
- and they simply need to be renewed in the attitude of their mind as well
- so we ALL need to be renewed in the way we think – believers and unbelievers
And the way we need to think is verse 23: put on the new man which was created according to God in true righteousness and holiness
ALL of the old man — ALL of Adam’s nature and ALL that came as a result of his disobedience – sickness, disease, poverty, fear, etc. (death) COMPLETELY died at the cross
- None of Adam – none of sin the condition or death survived!
The new man – our real true self – which WAS created -past tense; FINISHED tense
- we — ALL men were created in the image and likeness of God (Genesis 1:27)
- Righteous and holy
And now because ALL of Adam died at the cross, we are free of hindrances (sin – the condition AND death) that would keep us from living our lives as a reflection of God — image and likeness – divine beings! Sons!
- When that becomes our revelation we will no longer yield to sickness, disease, poverty, fear, addiction, etc
- because we will understand that because the condition of sin is behind us (died on the cross) so is death – sickness, disease, etc.
Romans 6:11 – consider (think) yourself dead to sin (the condition) and alive to God IN Christ Jesus!