Notes for this Bible study are below the teaching video….
Galatians 3:1-14: O foolish Galatians! Who has bewitched you? Before your very eyes Jesus Christ was clearly portrayed as crucified. (2) I would like to learn just one thing from you: Did you receive the Spirit by works of the law, or by hearing with faith? (3) Are you so foolish? After starting in the Spirit, are you now finishing in the flesh? (4) Have you suffered so much for nothing, if it really was for nothing? (5) Does God lavish His Spirit on you and work miracles among you because you practice the law, or because you hear and believe? (6) So also, “Abraham believed God, and it was credited to him as righteousness.” (7) Understand, then, that those who have faith are the sons of Abraham. (8) The Scripture foresaw that God would justify the Gentiles by faith, and preached the gospel to Abraham: “All nations will be blessed through you.” (9) So those who have faith are blessed along with believing Abraham (10) All who rely on works of the law are under a curse. For it is written: “Cursed is everyone who does not continue to do everything written in the Book of the Law.” (11) And it is clear that no one is justified before God by the law, because, “The righteous will live by faith.” (12) The law, however, is not based on faith; on the contrary, “The man who does these things will live by them.” (13) Christ redeemed us from the curse of the law by becoming a curse for us. For it is written: “Cursed is everyone who is hung on a tree.” (14) He redeemed us in order that the blessing promised to Abraham would come to the Gentiles in Christ Jesus, so that by faith we might receive the promise of the Spirit.
First of all let me premise by saying the law was NEVER for the Gentiles
- it was ONLY for the Jews – and only for a period of time
- it was given because the Israelites didn’t want an intimate relationship with God – they were afraid of Him and so they asked Moses to be their mediator
- so… we are not under the law today and unless you were Jewish and lived during the time period of Moses giving the law at Mt Sinai and the cross, you were never under the law
But a large portion of the body of Christ doesn’t have the revelation that we were never under the law – still seeing the law as a standard or a guideline for holiness in our lives
- and we haven’t understood that verse 14 is talking about 2 different people groups – Jew and Gentiles
Galatians 3:14: He redeemed us in order that the blessing promised to Abraham would come to the Gentiles in Christ Jesus, so that by faith we might receive the promise of the Spirit.
Paul said He redeemed US – talking about the Jews under the Old Covenant… under the Mosaic Law
- Col 2:14: Blotting out the handwriting of ordinances (Old Mosaic Law)that was against us (Jews under that law), which was contrary to us (Jews), and took it out of the way, nailing it to the cross;
- we really should learn who the verses are referring to and write that in our Bibles for future reference
- He redeemed those under the law that the Gentiles (us) would receive the promise of the Spirit
And He made ONE new man – Jew and Gentile in Christ – no division
- Ephesians 2:14: For He Himself is our peace, who made both groups into one and broke down the barrier of the dividing wall
- Then ALL men born after the cross were to simply live in the freedom of life in the spirit – of Christ IN us, AS us and flowing through us with NO knowledge of the Mosaic law whatsoever.
BUT mentally we placed ourselves under a law that no longer exists and was never ours
- AND mentally we have seen ourselves redeemed from curses that never applied to us
- SO… let’s go forward looking at being redeemed from the curse “as though it applied to us” so that we can go higher in our understanding of the wholeness that is ours IN CHRIST
II. What was The Curse
Most believers connect Galatians 3:13 with the curses mentioned in Deuteronomy 28:16-68
- but those are curses (plural) in Deuteronomy and Paul was speaking in the singular in Galatians 3:13 — he said “the curse” not curses
- Paul was talking about a singular, specific curse
So what is THE Curse of the law?
- it’s the fact that it can’t justify any man
it was to expose the condition of man but it had no power to change man
- Paul speaking to Jews says in Romans 7:7: what shall we say then is the law sin? Certainly not on the contrary I wouldn’t have known the sin
- talking about sin – in the Greek the article “the” is added – specifying sin the condition
- Romans 3:20: therefore by the deeds of the law no flesh will be justified in His sight for by the law is the knowledge of SIN (singular) – the condition
- Paul is saying — hey we (Jews) needed the law to reveal the condition of sin
The law wasn’t given to show men how they must live in order to be righteous
- but it was made to be a revelation of a person’s condition apart from the glorious gospel
Later in this chapter of Galatians Paul says that the law could not give life (v. 21)
and in v. 23 he tells them that they (Jews) were kept under the law or held in custody – which is an imperfect indicative passive tense — meaning it was a repeated, continual action in the past that happened to them
- Paul is relaying to them that they are not held in custody or kept under the law anymore — that was a repeated action of the PAST – before the cross.
and in verse 24 he tells them (not us!) that the law was a trainer or a tutor UNTIL Christ came and in v. 25 that now that the Faith (v. 22 says it’s the faith OF Jesus) has come they are free from the law
- the law was their tutor, their guardian, to bring them to Christ so that they might be justified by His faith
- the law was NOT a curse — it was a tutor to lead us to Christ (Gal 3) – to point us to the Gospel
- and the curse of the law was that it couldn’t justify them!
The law was never intended to be a guide for their flesh — how to manage their behavior
- it’s purpose was to reveal the cause of ALL problems in the flesh — sin the condition, or spiritual death that had entered the world through Adam
That’s why I’ve been telling you from the beginning of this series that disease is not of biological origin
- it manifests biologically — but disease has spiritual origin in ALL men at ALL times
- it’s the experience of who we believe we are (of our revelation)
- it’s easy to walk in divine health — it’s easy to be well
- but we have to get a hold of this revelation first that we have been in fact truly delivered from sin the condition
When we understand that we have been delivered from sin the condition we then understand that without sin there are no negative effects (death)
- sin entered the world through one man and death through sin – therefore all died because all sinned
- this cause and effect relationship says to me that when I negate the cause I also negate the effect — No sin (condition) = no death
Sickness and disease as I’ve told you before are ONLY possible to one who assumes himself to still be in someway associated with sin
- Heb 1:3 tells us that we’re to have no more consciousness of sin (the condition) because we have been purified!
Once we get the understanding that we have been completely separated, severed from sin – the condition , then it becomes easier and easier to just walk around in health, peace and joy and prosperity
- realizing that ALL the effects (sickness, disease, lack, etc.) were done away with when the cause (condition of sin) was done away with — 2000 years ago!!
III. Free from The Curse & it’s curses
let’s look at Deut 28:15: But it shall come to pass, if thou wilt not hearken unto the voice of the LORD thy God, to observe to do all his commandments and his statutes which I command thee this day; that all these curses (plural) shall come upon thee, and overtake thee
- notice that in verse 15 it mentions curses – plural
- then he begins in v. 16-68 to list the curses – and the entirety of the rest of the chapter relates to the curses (plural) that are result to disobedience to the WHOLE law
So just like THE sin – SINGULAR – the condition is responsible for sins – PLURAL – the actions — we need to realize that THE curse – SINGULAR – is responsible for the curses – PLURAL
So the Curse is responsible for the curses
- the curses would be all the many things like sickness, disease, poverty, marital distress, family disorder, social injustice, etc. – everything found in Deut 28: 15-68
And understanding only that I’m redeemed from these “things” or the curses (plural) is an incomplete revelation
- because defining THE Curse only by it’s natural effects (curses) actually reduces Christ’s work to a natural ministry only — one that affects ONLY the earthly experience of men
IV. Not Just Forgiven
We shouldn’t have any trouble understanding that because we’ve spent generations in the church defining sin (singular) by men’s behaviors (sins- plural)
- this greatly lessens the value of the cross — and detracts from the revelation of the FINISHED work of Christ in it’s fullness
For example…. if Christ only died for my sins (plural) I’m forgiven but unchanged!
- because in that scenario, He did nothing for my spiritual condition, so consequently I’m still lost
- Israel before the cross had forgiveness – and yet they were still at that point in time lost
So if He only died for our sins we’re still lost — still unchanged
- and the best we can experience then is a sense of forgiveness in this life
which is exactly what the law provided for the Israelites
- and just like them, we will never experience freedom from the driving force behind our constant need for forgiveness if we have only been forgiven
- However, if Jesus actually became sin – and He did – I can experience freedom from that sin consciousness that constantly demands forgiveness in my life
We need to remember that Jesus died AS us FOR us
- the exchange that took place was a COMPLETE AND TOTAL exchange of lives
- He received all of Adam in Himself at the cross and we received all of Him as a result He became sin and I became righteousness
V. How Much More!
Hebrews 9:14: HOW MUCH MORE shall the blood of Christ, who through the eternal Spirit offered himself without spot to God, purge your conscience from dead works to serve the living God?
- there was much more that needed to be provided than just the sanctifying and purifying of the flesh that the law provided (v.13)
if all we have is forgiveness of sins (plural) and redemption from the curses (plural) then we have nothing more than Israel had
- because they had that — they had forgiveness of sins through the sacrificial offerings and it tells us right here that they could even have their flesh purified
- and there were healing ordinances throughout the OT
- throughout the Levitical law — healing ordinances — do this and that and be healed
- God made provision for their natural man
- So if all we are going to do is relate Christ has redeemed us from The Curse of the law to all of those physical manifestations (curses) that are recorded in Deut 28 we don’t have anything better than Israel had
NO – we’re not redeemed from the curses (plural) only — we are redeemed from The Curse
- Just like we were not just forgiven of sins (plural) only — we were redeemed from The Sin – condition
- and The Curse was responsible for the curses – cause and effect
- just like The Sin (condition) was responsible for sins (behavior)
VI. The Curse was Death
Let’s go to Deut 30:19: I call heaven and earth to record this day against you, that I have set before you life and death, blessing and cursing: therefore choose life, that both thou and thy seed may live:
this version says blessing and cursing but it literally in Hebrew it says The Blessing and The Curse – singular and specific
- it also says The Life and The Death — singular; specific
then it says choose The Life that you and your descendants will live
- by choosing life their experience would be abundant life and not the manifestations of death — sickness, disease, poverty, lack, fear, etc.
so very clearly what we see here is – The Blessing is Life and The Curse is Death
- these are conditions of existence – not objects of reward and punishment
We often refer to blessings as an object of reward – we receive something and we call it a blessing that we received
those things are definitely fruit of The Blessing — but what I want you to understand first of all is what he’s talking about here is a condition of existence
- a condition in which you have been placed to live in and to dwell
- That condition used to be called The Death or The Curse
- Now it’s called The Life or The Blessing
1 Jn 5:12 says He that hath the Son hath The Life
- we could also say he who has the Son has The Blessing
Again when he talks about The Curse and The Blessing here, he’s not talking about some reward or punishment – but a condition of existence
- just like sin and death were conditions of existence
- so The Curse on humanity was Death and the curses (plural) were simply the natural effects of a spiritual root
- they were men’s natural experiences that resulted from The Curse
That’s why sickness and disease are not of a biological origin
- and poverty and lack do not originate in the economy, in your job, etc
- they all originate in the spirit — they are the effects of The Death or The Curse
- So The Curse on humanity was death and the curses were simply the effects of this spiritual root
VI. In Conclusion
We as the body of Christ… as Believers… haven’t gone far enough in our understanding
- we haven’t understood the FULLNESS of His FINISHED work and what that means for us — WHOLENESS in every area of our lives, FILLED with ALL of the FULLNESS of the Godhead and EMPOWERED to live in the realm of SPIRIT
- ALL of that NOW in this earthly life!
It says in Galatians 3:13 does NOT say Christ has redeemed us from the curses (plural) having borne the curses on His body on the cross
- it said Christ has redeemed us from The Curse having become The Curse
Christ becoming The Curse means He became ALL of Death – just like He became ALL of Sin — He became ALL of Death so that ALL of Life could become your condition
- He became ALL of Sin – we became ALL of Righteousness
- He became ALL Death – we became ALL Life… we became ALL Blessed
He redeemed us from a condition — not from things
- He redeemed us from The Curse — He did NOT redeem us from sickness, disease, lack etc.
- And because He redeemed us from the CAUSE (The Curse) there are NO curses that remained… NO SICKNESS, NO DISEASE, NO LACK, NO FEAR, ETC.
- Our condition now is LIFE…. is BLESSING
This is the condition of our existence whether we know it or not and whether we believe it or not
- you’re not blessed because you get things — you’re blessed because you have The Life
And so you live in this place called The Blessing
- in this place spiritual condition called Life
- they’re synonymous
- And in that place (that Paul calls NEW LIFE) there is NO SICKNESS, NO DISEASE, NO LACK, NO FEAR, ETC.