Ok… the last post in a series about the Nature of God. This one really bothered me… maybe a bit more than the others. This one is the attribute of the Jealousy of God. The definition she gives to make her point doesn’t define His Jealousy and more importantly, it doesn’t describe our life under the New Covenant.
- Jealous – God does not share His glory with another (Isaiah 48:11; Exodus 34:14; Isaiah 42:8)
Let’s start with looking at the Scriptures she uses to try and prove her point.
- Isaiah 48:11: For mine own sake, even for mine own sake, will I do it: for how should my name be polluted? and I will not give my glory unto another.
Well, that verse APPEARS to prove her point. But remember we need to ask who is God talking to? What is He talking about in context? And of course how did the finished work of the Cross change this?
In this verse, the children of Israel were making idols and invoking the name of God. They were using God’s name on the idols. Of course, God’s not going to share His glory with idols! But He was talking about idols, not us. What about the next verse…..
- Exodus 34:14: For thou shalt worship no other god: for the LORD, whose name is Jealous, is a jealous God
God is replacing the tablets of stone that were broken and He’s giving a list of commandments for the children of Israel. Verse 14 is one of those. He reveals His name as El Qana – a Jealous God. He is not saying He’s jealous about sharing His glory with anyone! He is saying He is a God passionate about not losing His children to false gods because they would then make covenants with the inhabitants of the land and turn away from God.
- Isaiah 42:8: I am the LORD: that is my name: and my glory will I not give to another, neither my praise to graven images.
Again this verse is about God not giving His glory or His praise to graven images.
But what does God say about sharing His glory with us……
- Jesus said the glory the Father gave Him, He gave to us
- Jn 17:22: And the glory which thou gavest me I have given them; that they may be one, even as we are one:
- We are filled with the FULLNESS of God — that would include His glory!
- Eph 3:19: And to know the love of Christ, which passeth knowledge, that ye might be filled with all the fullness of God.
- God said that He would fill His new temple (US) with glory!
- Haggai 2:7: And I will shake all nations, and the desire of all nations shall come: and I will fill this house (new temple) with glory, saith the LORD of hosts.
- The mystery of the Gospel was Christ in us… His glory in us
- Col 1:27: To whom God would make known what is the riches of the glory of this mystery among the Gentiles; which is Christ in you, the hope of glory
- He glorified us!
- Romans 8:30 – whom He predestined, He called, whom He called, He justified, whom He justified, He glorified
- NLT: And having chosen them, he called them to come to him. And having called them, he gave them right standing with himself. And having given them right standing, he gave them his glory!
- We are partakers of His divine nature — that includes His glory
- 2 Peter 1:4: Whereby are given unto us exceeding great and precious promises: that by these ye might be partakers of the divine nature, having escaped the corruption that is in the world through lust.
How exciting! We were created for His glory. We are carriers of His glory! The fullness of the Deity dwells in us — the fullness of His glory dwells in us!! That’s something to shout about!